Saturday 28 January 2017

Update - Alpha

Hello, Duski here! I'm not usually the one doing the writing but here we go.

We've had a very busy month doing Sanguine Rose, mostly grinding at tasks behind the scenes that need to be done. I've done heaps of art, managed to get a new desk chair so I'm not as desk-crippled as usual and also managed to get ill. (annoyingly)

I want to give a huge thanks to 44KPanda for writing an awesome article about us on Lewdgamer! Little mentions and advertising give us a huge boost, and we're very thankful for it.

---

The next playable content we release for the game will be an Alpha that includes the bulk of the storylines from day 1 (The story is only 3 days long). We set our hopes high, wrote a lot of different paths and now we are chugging away filling them in. It'll be much more like an actual game, with a menu and introduction, but of course it's not the final product. I'm sure Hallows will have more to say when we are close to finishing it. I've learned a lot about my own workflow creating the game, and realised that my standards for the art I made are catastrophically high sometimes. I'm making an effort to create simpler art where it's needed, so that I have time to make more art as a whole.

Now for some of the recent art. We're always deliberating on what to post, and what to keep a secret. If you'd like to see as much content as you can before it's posted, or if you'd like it to be kept a surprise- I'd like to know!

This is from a corruption scene, in which Crow becomes led astray by a mixture of Carmen's depraved encouragement and seeing filthy acts in public. It has themes of voyeurism and exhibitionism, which I'm excited about.

This is an example of the new type of animations that we will be utilising. It's a parallax scrolling of different elements to create the feeling of 3 dimensions. I think it brings a lot more life to the art. The in game art won't be as choppy as this, don't worry.
I thought I'd post some of the small animated frames (from the second demo) that I've had hidden away on the patreon for a long time.



Lastly, here is a preview of a piece of saucy art available currently to our $10 patrons. To look at our Patreon, click here, or you can always click the button in the sidebar! I won't give too many spoilers about this scene quite yet.

 There is also more NSFW content available to patrons-


---

We are tantalisingly close to our $250/month goal on Patreon. It's nerve wracking! We'll be doing a special post for every patron when we hit $250~ As always, thank you for reading and supporting us.

-Duski ♥

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff! Strong update posts like this make me very happy about becoming a patron.

    On the art and animations, I'm a big fan of having subtle animations and especially facial expression changes on characters as they're speaking. I find it really helps build immersion and lends allows a broader emotional range to be portrayed over completely static character models for a dialog scene.

    Loving the parallax effect though. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, that's great to hear!

      Yes, I think a small change in an image shows much more dimension and emotion. It's the least I can do when I don't have a lot of time to spend on each drawing.

      Delete
  2. Hi, this project looks so freaking good! I wanted to suggest something to you, I played the demo and didn't see any button to hide the dialogue window. It's kind of a standard in visual novels and I like your art SO much i missed it even more. Maybe its there and i just missed it maybe i dunno

    Otherwise it just looks awesome. I will spread word of this game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, dope. looks like i did miss it. it's right there in the corner.
      Anyway it looks amazing

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Hm, yes. There is a button that takes you to the last piece of story art. But you make a valid point. I'll talk to Hallows about making a way to just hide the text box. The button that is already there is currently unfinished, it'll be made more obvious and button-like in the Alpha. Thank you for your feedback, and for spreading word!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the feedback Moogy! Hiding the dialogue box is a function I intend to include in the Alpha. For now there's the ability to look at the most recent 'feature' piece of art, and I plan to extend that so that it opens a gallery of all 'feature' art seen so far by the player.

      Delete